Can competitive electricity markets coordinate the production of electricity from all supply resources in order to minimize costs, produce reasonable prices, and keep the lights on?
At Potomac Economics, you would be a valuable member of a market monitoring team that studies wholesale electricity markets throughout the United States. This includes designing, creating, and utilizing databases and custom software to analyze a wide array of market data. The team uses this monitoring software to evaluate the performance of competitive markets, identify potential improvements in market design, and detect attempts to manipulate the market or exercise market power.
- Producing efficient Python code to process, visualize, and analyze market data
- Developing dashboards, figures, tables, and other work products to convey clearly the results of analyses using tools like Excel, PowerBI, and Python
- Troubleshooting, debugging, maintaining, and improving existing data processing and analysis software in Python and SAS
- Identifying and recommending improvements to existing software and analyses
A successful Data Scientist will:
- Communicate analytical conclusions in a straightforward manner
- Demonstrate the ability to utilize data analysis software to effectively analyze large quantities of market data
- Collaborate effectively with analysts and market experts
- Work productively with limited oversight
- Develop code that is easy to maintain and reuse
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Economics, Data Science, or another relevant field of study
- 3 or more years of experience with data analysis in Python, Pandas, SAS, SQL, etc.
- Industry knowledge of electricity/energy markets is preferred
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $100,000.00 – $140,000.00 per year
Work Location: Fairfax, VA – In person 3 days/wk
- Medical / Dental / Vision / Life
- HSA / FSA
- Employee discount
- Paid time off